Welcome

Welcome to the Napa Workforce Investment Board - Executive Director's Blog. I'm Bruce Wilson and I serve as the Director of the Workforce Investment Board. The purpose of this blog is quite simply to serve as a communication tool. A tool to keep various workforce development stakeholders and particularly the general public informed on the various discussions and activities that are taking place on behalf of the workforce needs of Napa County. There will be absolutely no formality to the information provided here, but rather I will try to simply capture the latest workforce news and debates from my perspective. The Blog is open to all interested parties. I particularly invite the public to participate, either by writing responses and comments to the blogs posted or, by writing your very own blog entry. If you need help getting started, please don't hesitate to call me at (707) 259-8679.

Very Sincerely,

Bruce Wilson

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Monterey

I made a one day trip to the California Workforce Association's Meeting of the Minds in Monterey conference this week. Although, I wasn't originally planning on attending I am very glad I did. Not only did I get alot from the few sessions that I attended, but I also re-energized myself a little bit. I always get charged by conversations with my peers. I have some good professional relationships with others in the industry and I find that it helps to both commiserate and strategize with these friends. Some of the people I had an opportunity to talk to, I had not seen in 3 to 5 years. Others, I have seen more recently, but not often enough considering the information dump that still happens when I see them, and others I met for the first time on this trip. All in all, my conversations were good, my professional network intact and my learning curve flattened by the one day trip. A true meeting of the minds, I guess.